Sankara Narayanan Nair
Sankara Narayanan Nair
Nair holds an LLB (Hons) degree from Cardiff Law School, University of Wales, United Kingdom. He is an Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya for about 20 years. Nair mainly handles litigation matters in areas, inter alia, Commercial Fraud, General Insurance, Marine Law, Employment Law, Banking, Torts in General and Criminal Law. Nair has represented prominent politicians in several high profile cases from 1998, namely the Former Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia (Anwar bin Ibrahim), Member of Parliament for Seputeh (Teresa Kok) and several others in criminal and defamation matters.
Apart from law Nair is a Member and a Life Member of the following organizations:-
1) RESPA (Retired Senior Police Officers’ Association) Malaysia;
2) Australian & New Zealand Maritime Law Association, Sydney;
3) Malaysian Medico Legal Society, Kuala Lumpur;
4) He is a Certified International Investigator, Council of International Investigators, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
5) Corporate Member Chartered Institute of Transport & Logistics, London, UK (MCILT)
1. Prior to legal practice, between 1991 - 1994 (4 years), Nair was a licensed Dealer’s Representative (Remisier) with T.A. Securities Berhad; Whilst working in the latter company, Nair had the opportunity to acquire vast experience and knowledge in stock broking operations including Backroom Operations, Margin Trading, Retail Trading, Credit Control, Corporate Transactions, Off Market Deals, Placements, Underwriting, and Initial Public Offerings (IPOs). He is most familiar with the internal procedures adopted in most stock- broking companies. He also has a good knowledge of the Securities Industry Act 1983 (Act 280) and has dealt with Securities Industry offences such as short selling, insider dealing, false trading and market rigging transactions.
2. Between March 1980 – December 1988 (9 years), Nair served in the Royal Malaysia Police Force holding the rank of Assistant Supt. of Police. His tour of duty includes the Special Branch, Criminal Investigations Department and General Duties. Whilst serving in the CID he headed investigations into several high profile commercial crimes cases involving several prominent tycoons and politicians during the 1985-1987 economic downturn. He also headed the investigations into the erstwhile Perwira Habib Bank and the now defunct Cooperative Central Bank (CCB) and several Deposit Taking Cooperatives.
3. Between May 1974 - Feb 1980 (6 years), Nair was a Senior Traffic Officer at Johor Port Authority, Pasir Gudang, Johor. He has served in various departments in the Port; inter alia, ship planning, conventional cargo, container operations and warehousing. Nair has also attended various senior management courses at the Port of Singapore Authority.
All the above wide and varied experiences has given Nair the added advantage in appreciating legal matters that has direct or indirect relevance to his experience.